Do I Have To Claim My Son's Social Security Disability Money On My Taxes

Jun 24, 2011 No Comments by

Question: Do I have to claim my son’s Social Security disability money on my taxes?

Answer: No, you do not claim your son’s Social Security disability money on your taxes. I’m assuming that the person asking the question is on Social Security disability benefits and his or her son is drawing dependent benefits from Social Security. In this situation, the money is taxed to the child, not the father or mother. If the child had significant other income, he would have to include the Social Security dependent benefits on his tax return but that would be an unusual situation. Social Security will provide the child with his own 1099, separate from the parent on benefits.

Attorney Posts

About the author

Charles Hall is the lead attorney for the Charles Hall Law Firm in Raleigh, NC. He has been practicing in the Social Security Disability law field since 1979, is published, and is ready to help new clients win their benefits in North Carolina.