Can I Get Social Security Disability For Coronary Artery Disease?

Oct 14, 2011 Comments Off on Can I Get Social Security Disability For Coronary Artery Disease? by

Question: Can I get Social Security disability for coronary artery disease?

Answer: Yes, if it is bad enough.

The heart pumps blood but it needs its own blood supply. That comes from arteries running through and over the heart muscle. These arteries can get clogged up with arteriosclerotic deposits — basically fat that sort of calcifies. As they get clogged up, the blood can’t flow as well. The heart muscle cannot get enough blood. The person with coronary artery disease suffers angina pectoris (which is just Latin for chest pain). Typically, a person with angina has crushing chest pain with shortness of breath, brought on by exertion and relieved by rest and nitroglycerine. Angina stops a person in their tracks. Angina will stop a person from doing exertion. As the angina worsens, the person can do less and less without getting angina. I should say that I am describing classic angina here. There are many variations. Things are sometimes different in women and often very different in people with diabetes.

Doctors treat angina with medications that open up the arteries, with stents which hold open particularly clogged areas and with coronary artery bypass graft (CABG — what doctors call a “cabbage”)  surgery. These work quite well for most people but not all.

If you have coronary artery disease that is not responding to treatment, contact us about a Social Security disability claim. We’ll be happy to evaluate your case, whether you’re in Ahoskie or Raleigh; High Point or Clinton.

Attorney Posts

About the author

Charles Hall is the lead attorney for the Charles Hall Law Firm in Raleigh, NC. He has been practicing in the Social Security Disability law field since 1979, is published, and is ready to help new clients win their benefits in North Carolina.